Sunday, March 2, 2014

Our True Identity

Today at church, we had a marvelous lesson about strengthening our relationship with ourselves. Too often we are too hard on ourselves. We are our worst critic. Things that we might never say to another person, we inwardly say to ourselves. We set expectations for ourselves that we would never set for overs. We berate ourselves when we do not meet those expectations.



During our lesson, I was reminded that we are loved by the creator of the universe, a person that has all power and is all knowing, a god that organizes worlds and moves stars. If He cares for us, we MUST be of tremendous worth. Doesn't that make you feel important? Doesn't that make your heart sing within you knowing that you are of value to the most important being in all creation? Can you not feel your soul fill with light as you remember your divine origins as children of God?



As I sat holding my sleeping baby girl the other night, I was amazed by how truly beautiful and precious she is. I know and love every curve of her face; her sweet button nose, her long delicate eyelashes, her plump rosy cheeks, the soft roundness of her chin. I have stared at that face so often that I could easily draw it from memory. I look at her face and see pure perfection.



And then I realized that my sweet mother surely thought the same thing of me when I was her little baby girl, rocking me to sleep in the late hours of the night. I am certain that her heart burned with all the same feelings of love and awe that mine do now. I think of how hard I have been on myself over the years. How it must have broken her heart to see me so hateful of the nose that she probably kissed over and over and over when I was a baby. Surely it made her cry to see the drastic measures I took to be thin and desirable to the world when she thought I was perfect the way I was. I know now the perfect love of a mother and want desperately for my daughter to know how truly marvelous she is.



If us terribly imperfect beings can love our children so deeply, how much more does God love HIS children. I am sure that it is incomprehensible. We have reason to rejoice in his love.



Our teacher shared this beautiful video with us about self-worth. It is one of the many uplifting Mormon Messages videos produced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This one is based on a talk given by one of our apostles, Dieter F. Uchtdorf. Enjoy!

Our True Identity









No comments:

Post a Comment