Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Friends, Nothings Better Than Friends

I know my posts on here have been kinda spotty the last week or so. That is because we went on our first family vacation! We hit up Washington D.C. and had a marvelous time. I'll mention some of my happiness experiences with that later.

Now that Dave is finally DONE with studying and other such time-eaters with medical school, we will finally have some leisure time! Dave has no idea what that is any more : ) "You mean, when I get home from the hospital every day I can just sit and watch Star Wars?!" Pretty exciting, huh?

Well, with this free time, he'll have to find a new hobby or rediscover and old one to fill up his free hours in the evening. One of his favorite things to do is hang out with friends. He gets pumped up the more he is with other people. He sucks up all the energy in the group and goes wild! I'm not that way, I prefer more intimate parties of a few, where we can talk and create relationships. Dave loves big parties, I love small ones.

We've decided to compromise and start hanging out with people again after being off the planet for a couple years. I've already had a couple girl dates with some close friends of mine and we've tried to invite people to do stuff with us and respond positively to their invitations as well. In the last few weeks, we had my son's birthday party (originally planned to be just us, changed to force us to be social), went to an awesome tailgate/football game party hosted by people much cooler than us (it started at 9, WAY after Nathan's bedtime, but we got to get to know lots of people that we've been wanting to know but haven't had time too), checked out an awesome group game night, and had all the neighbors over for a barbeque. Pretty good, huh? I've also had a handful of girl dates :)

It is so nice to spend time with old friends and make some new ones. It is too easy to get caught up in your own life and start to think that this life of yours is what matters. Once you start being with other people, you remember that it's not all about you, that they have a life too, and you can help them celebrate their joys and relieve some of their sadness. You add variety to your conversation and swap ideas and interests. It is great. I've been blessed with so many really awesome friends while being here in Texas.

Woot.

No comments:

Post a Comment